( Curd Rice, Yogurt Rice, Thair sadam)
- Small frying pan for frying seasoning
- Pressure Cooker / Big Pot with Lid for cooking rice
- Rice – 1 cup
- Yogurt – 2 cups
- Grated Ginger- 1 tsp
- Green Chillies – 1
- Curry Leaves – 5-6
- Black peppercorns – 10-15
- Coriander Leaves – 10-15(chopped)
- Cashew halves – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Chana Daal – 2 teaspoons
- Urad Daal – 2 teaspoons
- Hing(asafoeteda) – a small pinch
- Sesame oil or canola oil – 2 tablespoon
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon or to taste
1. Cook 1 cup rice by adding 2 cups of water. Allow it to completely cool down
2. Add yogurt to the cooled down rice.
3. Heat the oil and add mustard seeds. Once they start sputtering, add cumin seeds, chana daal, urad daal, cashews and let them fry for few seconds
4. Add curry leaves, chopped green chillies, peppercorns, asafoeteda and ginger.
5. Add this to the yogurt rice and mix well.
6. Add salt to this yogurt rice and mix thoroughly. Optionally, you can top it with grapes as well.
7. Awesome yogurt rice is ready to be enjoyed